Advertisement

Province expands at-home care program as Fort St. John project remains delayed

B.C. Ministry of Health’s expansion of its Long-term Care at Home program comes as a new facility in Fort St. John remains delayed.

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
Fort St. John Hospital front entrance in daylight.
The new long-term care facility in Fort St. John was intended to be adjacent to the Fort St. John Hospital. (File)

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — The Ministry of Health says it is expanding an at-home care program in B.C., as the timeline for a new long-term care home in Fort St. John remains uncertain.

In a news release on Friday, February 20th, the ministry said its Long-term Care at Home program will expand to support about 2,700 seniors across B.C. by 2028. 

The ministry said the program equips older people’s homes with monitoring technology and provides proactive care management and home support services.

Advertisement

Keep Up with Your Community

Don’t miss out on local news, events, and more. Sign up for our free Daily Newsletter powered by Alpine Glass

“Meeting the needs of a growing and aging population means delivering care in smarter, more flexible ways, including right in seniors’ homes,” said health minister Josie Osborne.

“This innovative expansion will help more seniors remain safely at home, reducing pressure on hospitals while improving health and wellbeing for seniors and their families.”

According to the ministry, the program is currently supporting more than 275 seniors.

Advertisement

The province says expansion is underway in Vancouver Coastal Health, Fraser Health and Island Health, with discussions beginning in Northern Health and Interior Health.

The announcement comes amid ongoing delays to several long-term care infrastructure projects, including the planned facility in Fort St. John.

In the 2026 provincial budget tabled February 17th by finance minister Brenda Bailey, the targeted year of completion for the Fort St. John long-term care home was removed. 

The project had previously been announced as an $155-million facility adjacent to the Fort St. John Hospital, linked to the Peace Villa, with 84 new beds and a 30-space adult day program.

The Ministry of Finance has said delays to seven long-term care projects provincewide are due to “significant and unsustainable costs,” with some builds reaching as high as $1.8 million per bed. 

The decision to delay the projects has received criticism, with Marc Lee, senior economist for the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, saying: “They definitely seemed to manage to p*ss off everybody,” in an article from The Canadian Press.

B.C. Conservative Party finance critic, Peter Milobar, added: “[This] budget is an assault on seniors, working families and the small businesses that drive our economy.”

The government says it is reviewing the long-term care infrastructure program and exploring standardized designs and modular construction to reduce costs.

Stay connected with local news

Make us your

home page

Authors
Jacob Gendron is a journalist from Brantford, Ontario, and a graduate of the journalism-broadcast program at Fanshawe College in London, ON.
Jacob is passionate about telling impactful local stories and keeping communities informed. He brings a thoughtful, engaging approach to covering news that matters to residents of Fort St. John and its surrounding communities.
In his spare time, Jacob enjoys reading, playing video games and listening to music, especially his favourite band, The Beatles.
Close the CTA