FORT NELSON, B.C. – A new forest fire that started late Friday has caused an evacuation order and the closure of Highway 77.
As of Saturday afternoon the fire is only four hectares in size and crews and working the fire. The fire remains out of control at this time.
Pursuant to Section 12 (1) of the Emergency Program Act an Evacuation Order has been issued by the Northern Rockies Regional Municipality due to immediate danger to life safety caused by a wildfire in the area of Highway 77 at the Fort Nelson River.
The Evacuation Order is in effect for the following area, shown on the map above in red:
- A distance on Highway 77 approximately 8 kms south of the Fort Nelson River Bridge to a distance approximately 25 kms north of the bridge.
- An area bounded on the northwest side at 59 29.58’N,
- On the southwest side at 59 15.32’N, and
- To an eastern point of 122 15.44’W following the Fort Nelson River.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO IF YOU ARE IN THE EVACUATION ORDER AREA:
- YOU MUST LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY
- If you need transportation assistance from the area please advise the Fort Nelson Emergency
Operations Centre at 250-775-0933.
- Close all windows and doors.
- Shut off all gas and electrical appliances, other than refrigerators and freezers.
- Close gates (latch) but do not lock.
- Gather your family/co-workers and ensure everyone is accounted for: take a neighbour or someone who needs help.
- Take critical items(medicine, purse, wallet, and keys) only if they are immediately available.
- Take pets in pet kennels or on leash.
- Do not use more vehicles than you have to.
- Do not use the telephone unless you need emergency service.
For more information contact the Northern Rockies Regional Municipality Fort Nelson Emergency Operations Centre at 250-775-0933.
There are no wildfires currently threatening the community of Fort Nelson; however, fire activity and significant fire growth is occurring in all areas of the NRRM including the northeast and northwest sections and residents and visitors are urged to check the BC Wildfire map before travelling down resource roads or entering the back country and maintain situational awareness at all times.
For updates on the closure of Highway 77, visit www.drivebc.ca