Museums showcase an important part of our history, so this week is all about showcasing museums! The BC Peace area is rich in history, with everything from trappers and settlers to dinosaurs, and there is a museum for every topic. I have found that the quickest way to learn all about a community is by looking at its history and what they showcase with pride.
North Peace Museum
Situated in Fort St. John, this museum showcases the history of families in the area and the professions of the past, including information on midwives, post office attendants, and fur traders. They also have a new specialty exhibit every few months, currently, they are showcasing “The Lake Next Door,” which is an exhibit on the natural history of Charlie Lake.
Tumbler Ridge Museum
Housed in an old school, this museum highlights the archaeological wonders found in the area.
Home to a large collection of fossils and artifacts found in Tumbler Ridge, this is the ideal place to learn about the prehistoric history of the region. They even do tours of the dinosaur tracks that were found a few decades ago!
Fort Nelson Museum
Further North but definitely worth the drive, this museum is housed in over eight buildings and contains a plethora of things to see. You will feel as though you have been transported back in time when you step foot among the large collection of classic cars, some of which date back to world war two when the Alaska highway was built. The Trappers Cabin will bring you back in time and show how much industry has grown in the many years since Europeans settled in the Fort Nelson area. This busy Museum will teach you so much about the history of the north!
Events Happening July 13-16, 2023
- Fort St John Rotary Ribfest| Fort St. John| July 13-16
- Mini Stock Invitational| Taylor | July 14-16
- Financial Literacy – Money for New Moms| Fort St. John| July 13
- The Great Benjamins Circus| Fort St John | July 14
- Garden Tour| Fort St. John| July 16
- The Lake Next door | Fort St John | Open until September 15
- Interrupting a Portrait| Fort St John | July 13 -22
- Summer Reading Club| Fort St John | Weekly throughout the summer