Temporary classrooms coming for Tumbler Ridge Secondary students
The first of 14 units designed to temporarily replace Tumbler Ridge Secondary school will arrive this week.

TUMBLER RIDGE, B.C. — Temporary ‘single-wide’ trailers will be the first buildings arriving at Tumbler Ridge when students return to school.
According to a press release by the provincial government on February 16th, it will be the first phase in the resumption of classes, keeping a promise by Premier David Eby to create a safe environment in the wake of last week’s mass shooting at the school.
The assailant, 18-year-old Jesse Van Rootselaar, slayed five students and a teacher, as well as her mother and stepbrother in a nearby residence.
Van Rootselaar also died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Additionally, 27 people were injured in the attack.
School District 59 chair, Chad Anderson said in a statement: “We know routine and community are important to many in the aftermath of a tragedy and we know change can cause uncertainty.”
The provincial minister of infrastructure, Bowinn Ma said the parties are “working around the clock to ensure the school district has what they need to support students and their families.”
The first of the 14 units to arrive will be the bathroom trailers, followed by the classroom units on Tuesday, Feb. 17, and Wednesday, Feb. 18 at the site of Tumbler Ridge Elementary School.
Latest Stories
The statement said the process will take several days to set units up for water and heating and furnish them for returning students and staff, dependent on weather conditions and other factors.
With school officials respecting that some members of the school community may need more time to resume classes, the statement said no date for the re-opening of the school is scheduled at this time.
Stay connected with local news
Make us your
home page
