FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The North Peace Secondary School Grizzlies had a busy weekend with teams in rugby, badminton, soccer, and track and field competing.
According to NPSS Athletic Director Jaclyn McNicol’s weekly update, the sports-filled weekend started on Thursday, May 12th, when the rugby teams travelled to Grande Prairie.
The senior boys played back-to-back 7’s games, coming away with a win and a loss.
The senior girls lost their first game of the season to Sexsmith High School 35-26.
“Since the beginning of April, the girls have not played the Sexsmith team and were taken by surprise with their hard-hitting defensive,” McNicol said.
Both rugby teams have games this Thursday, starting at 4:15 p.m.
As for the North Peace Badminton team, they placed 3rd at the Northern Central Zones hosted by Dawson Creek on May 13th.
“Standouts to note: Nora Redford placed 1st in girls singles. Most teams were fielding 30+ students, NPSS placed high in the rankings with a solid six athletes! Way to go Grizzlies!”
The Grizzlies Senior Girls Soccer were also busy on Friday, hosting the AAA Northern Central Zones.
Teams in attendance included Prince George Secondary (0-2) and Dawson Creek Secondary (1-2).
“North Peace (3-0) showcased their discipline, patience, and team efforts allowing zero goals with their strong defensive game,” said McNicol’s update.
“Collectively, the team scored 27, with stand-out moments from everyone on the team.”
Shayne Turner, with NPSS, was awarded a Most Valuable Player honour, along with DCSS goalie, Hannah McDonald.
NPSS’s own Brynn Kielo was awarded the golden boot for scoring the most points.
Alexandria MacDonald was awarded the Golden Gloves for being a brick wall, allowing no goals at the tournament.
The senior girls soccer team will be headed to provincials next in Surrey from June 1st to 4th.
Track and field were in Grande Prairie on May 14th for the Peace Classic.
“The day was filled with sunshine and a lot of fun!”
Track and field athletes will be headed to Prince George this week from May 18th to 19th for zones.
NPSS highlights at the Peace Classic:
- Naia Gibbons won the u18 1500m with a time of 6:00, finishing 36 seconds ahead of the 2nd place runner;
- Isabelle Bojczuk finished 3rd with a time of 6:4 1and won the u18 high jump;
- Elanor Copes placed 2nd in both the women’s 100m and 200m and won the women’s long jump;
- Ken Apsassin placed 3rd in men’s javelin;
- Jayden Whitford placed 3rd in the u18 long jump;
- Brock Schroeder won the men’s high jump;
- Kane Schreiner placed 3rd in men’s 800m and 2nd in men’s 400m;
- Meghan Stobbe won the women’s high jump with a 1.30m jump;
- Tomasso Andreassi placed 3rd in the men’s 100m and 2nd in the u18 200m;
- Ronin Laurie placed 3rd in the u18 200m and 4th in men’s 400m.