Residents believe a tornado or funnel cloud touched down in Blueberry River First Nations, Doig First Nation, and Prespatou Wednesday night.

Multiple residents posted the aftermath of the storm on social media. A slew of videos and photos show damaged homes and multiple trees knocked over. There were also reports of trailers being lifted off the ground.

Environment Canada says an investigation is underway to discover whether the storm caused a tornado. Residents are encouraged to submit photos of Wednesday’s storm and any resulting damages to

A Prespatou resident told Energeticcity he was watching the lightning from his home, looked away for only a second, and when he turned back, the wind had knocked down his shop and destroyed several grain bins.

WARNING: The language in the video below may be viewed as offensive.


Another resident said the wind was constantly changing directions and ripped the roof of his home in Prespatou.  The wind was so strong; it blew open the french doors of his house, he claims.

A home under construction— almost at the lock-up stage — was completely knocked down due to strong winds.

After speaking with several residents in the area, a funnel cloud wasn’t seen but was believed to cause all the damage. At this point, Energeticcity is not aware of anyone being injured by the storm, only property damage.

The Peace River Regional District is advising anyone that’s been impacted by the tornado touchdowns and needs assistance to contact the district at 250-784-3200 or 1-800-670-7773. Residents are asked to leave their name, telephone number, address and number of people in their household.

Several outages were also reported due to downed power lines during the storm.

Environment Canada says wind speeds reached 111 km/h, and the province saw 150,000 lightning strikes, with the majority in Northeast B.C.

The severe thunderstorm moved through the area Wednesday evening and brought 111 km/h winds near Mile 73 of the Alaska Highway and 100 km/h winds in Chetwynd. At the Fort St. John Airport, the maximum wind speed was recorded at 85 km/h.

The storm left approximately 5,000 customers without power in the B.C. Peace with some being restored by Thursday morning. B.C. Hydro says crews are working on the largest power outages first and hopes to have 90 percent of the power restored within 24 hours.

Extra crews are being brought to provide support, but it still could take several days before some of the hardest-hit areas have their power restored.

For an updated look at current power outages, visit

WARNING: The language in the video below may be viewed as offensive.