The game began with Fort St. John generating the better scoring chances, as the Flyers game out of the gate with their feet moving and extremely physical, which resulted in numerous quality scoring chances, including two breakaways, as well as a disallowed goal.

Despite the momentum on Fort St. John’s side, an unfortunate bounce resulted in Powell River opening the scoring 16:41 into the first, as the puck bounced off the skate of a Fort St. John defender and past goaltender Clayton Pool, who was making his first start in net for the Flyers.

However, with 2:23 left in the period, Rod Stevens scored his second goal in as many games, tipping in a low shot passed Brumbey, evening the score at 1-1 to conclude the first.

Much like game one, things opened up in the second, but unlike Thursday, the majority of the scoring on Friday came off Powell River sticks.

The Regals scored four goals in the second period, with John Coyle getting involved in all four, registering four assists in the period. On the other side of the ice, Mike Lalonde scored the lone goal for the Flyers, concluding the middle period with the Regals leading 5-2.

The fifth goal was the end of Pool’s evening, as Troy Hunt was sent in to replace the starting goaltender in net.

Just when it looked liked the Flyers were down and out, a quick two goals by Fort St. John provided a jolt of life back into the North Peace Arena. 3:43 into the third, Paul Wiens scored for the Flyers, cutting the deficit to two goals, then just 20 seconds later, Todd Alexander scored for Fort St. John, with the scoreboard all of a sudden reading 5-4 for Powell River.

But just as quickly as the Flyers pulled within one, the Regals doubled their lead to two, as Jason Deleurme scored just 32 seconds after Alexander, providing Powell River a 6-4 lead.

The Flyers were unable to recover from the two goal deficit, and John Coyle added an empty net for the Regals, as Powell River emerged victorious 7-4.

It was a big night on the ice for Powell River’s Jason Deleurme and John Coyle, who combined for 10 points on the evening, while Elias Godoy registered four points on the evening.

Shot blocking was another frustrating part of the game the Flyers had to deal with, as Powell River did an excellent shot of blocking 20 plus shots fired by the Flyers. The situation was something Flyers’ captain Dave Alexander said he remembered from last year’s Savage Cup.

“That’s what it was last year and we need to learn from that. We need to make adjustments quickly and maybe get some back-door stuff going on… We had a ton of shots at the net but couldn’t get the rebounds and find the holes.  I was saying on the bench that it reminded too much of last year.”

The game concluded with some scrums ensuing as tempers began to flare from both sides, something Flyers head coach Darrel Leahy says his team isn’t going to shy away from.

“If they want rhubarb, we will give them rhubarb.”

There’s no rest for either team, as a pivotal game three takes place Saturday evening at the North Peace Arena, as the series shifts from a best-of-five to a best-of-three series, as each team has won once.

Saturday’s game three at the North Peace Arena begins at 8 p.m.