Once again, special teams were a determining factor in the 2011 McKenzie Cup.

Much like game one, game two saw both teams embrace the rough stuff, playing extremely physical, which resulted once again in a multitude of penalties being called. Similar to game one, the Bentley Generals took an early lead, scoring the game’s opening goal while on the power play, only 3:08 in to the first.

The special teams theme continued through the opening frame, as the Generals scored two more goals while on the man advantage. The Generals went 3-6 with the extra attacker in the first frame.

Things went from bad to worse for the Flyers, as Fort St. John’s defense took a major hit near the end of the first. Donny Lloyd was tossed from the game with 5:07 left in the period. Lloyd was assessed the ejection for check to the head. No suspension resulted from the play.

The second period brought some life to the Flyers. They picked up the intensity which would eventually pay off as Todd Alexander scored the Flyers first goal of the McKenzie Cup 13:30 into the second period.

With just 59 seconds remaining in the second period, the Flyers found themselves on a five-on-three. After some good puck movement, the Flyers scored on the two man advantage, thanks to a Chris Stevens deflection, cutting Bentley’s lead to one goal going into the third. Kimbi Daniels got the lone assist on the Fort St. John goal.

The third period began in the best possible way for Fort St. John, as they scored to tie the game only 17 seconds into the third period. The tying goal came off the stick of Tyrell Mason, who skated into the Generals zone and wristed one by Galenza, tying the game at threes.

Regulation solved nothing, so the game would have to be decided in overtime. With just minutes remaining in the extra frame, the Flyers found themselves on the man advantage and once again, special teams determined the fate of the game. Kevin Werner made a nice slap pass to Rod Stevens, who re-directed the puck past Galenza five-hole for the game winning and series tying goal.

Despite allowing three goals in the first, Clayton Pool was a rock in net for the Flyers, playing a phenomenal game, as the Flyers were out shot 40-18 in game two.

Flyers forward Mitch Strang left the game due to injury, but reassured after the game that it was merely a charlie horse and he will play in game three.

With the series tied at ones, game three takes place Saturday evening at 6 p.m. Catch all the live action on 100.1 Moose FM and make sure to tune into the pre-game show 15 minutes prior to puck drop.

Also taking place during the second intermission of game three, is the announcement of the CBC 2011 Kraft Hockeyville winner. The five nominated towns are Bentley, Mackenzie, Wolfe Island, Saint Raymond and Conception Bay South.