Huskies keep their focus in Slave Lake win

The Huskies rounded out the weekend with a 7-4 in Slave Lake on Sunday. 
After a solid performance in Whitecourt on Saturday that saw the pups lose 4-1 to the undefeated Wolverines, Fort St. John continued to work well as a team, in a 7-4 win in Slave Lake.
Sunday’s win didn’t come easily. The game saw a handful of controversial decisions from the referee, including two goals from Robbie Sidhu that got waved off. The first one went off Sidhu’s glove and in, and was called back for a high stick, despite Sidhu’s insistence that the puck had hit a Slave Lake player before crossing the line. On the second, Sidhu scored a clean goal, but immediately afterwards was charged with illegal equipment, for not having a mouthguard in. But, instead of counting the goal and then assessing the forward a misconduct, the goal was waved off and Sidhu was given 10 minutes. On another play, Cody Hildebrand was assessed a holding minor, and when he turned his palms up, as if to say ‘for what,’ was given a second minor. When Coach Bob Kalb quickly expressed his disagreement, he was kicked out of the game, leaving Assistant Coach Jeremy Clothier to run the bench for the rest of the way. “It’s mind blowing – you don’t know what he’s calling … it almost looked to me like he was out there trying to get everybody to watch him, instead of watching the hockey game.” said Clothier, himself a referee. 
With Fort St. John Leading 3-2 late in the second period, Shawn Loveless spun and beat Ty Gullickson, to tie the game up. Gullickson was steamed, and got himself ejected, after firing the puck at the Wolves bench. “The net was off a couple of feet” said Gullickson after the game. The goalie says he just lost his cool when he shot the puck at the Wolves bench, which prompted Garrett Muir’s entrance into the game. Muir himself looked a little incredulous when called upon, but held the fort, and picked up the win. “I don’t really like starting cold, but I had to pull through … I just tried hard” Muir said afterwards. 
But, the Huskies kept their composure, and pulled away from the Wolves in the third period, to post a 7-4 win. Despite having two goals waved off, Robbie Sidhu still scored twice, while Brighton Campbell, Dan Pappin, Luke McInerney, Cody Kalb, and Cody Hildebrand also scored for Fort St. John. 
Dustin Ghostkeeper, Ira Gladue, Shawn Loveless, and Colter Tkatch replied for Slave Lake, while Travis Chartier suffered the loss in goal. 
The Huskies all felt pretty good about their performance in their final two games of 2009. “With three lines and five D, I thought we played really good” said Robbie Sidhu. “Overall I’d say it was a really good weekend for us.” 
“It was a good weekend, we played two good games. We played really well last night [in Whitecourt ] and tonight we played a good 40 minutes” said Jeremy Clothier. “The new systems that we’re trying are starting to get results” he added, referring to a revamped Huskies forecheck that was effective in both games. 
The Huskies now have three weeks off before their next game. Fans are invited to join the team for the annual ‘Skate with the Huskies’ event, on Sunday, December 27th.

Do you have a news tip or a story idea?

Send it our way!

This site uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. By continuing to use this website, you consent to the use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy.