Huskies and Kodiaks go into double overtime in a Sunday thriller

FORT ST. JOHN B.C.- Dawson Creek Kodiaks win a double-overtime thriller and secure their first win in the best…

FORT ST. JOHN B.C.- Dawson Creek Kodiaks win a double-overtime thriller and secure their first win in the best of seven series against the Fort St. John Huskies.

Both teams fought for every inch of ice Sunday afternoon in a very close game after the Huskies took the second game in a 3-0 win on Friday.

On Sunday, the Kodiaks started out strong at the beginning of the first period by creating a lot of pressure on the Huskies on their end. The Kodiaks dominated the first five minutes of the game.

Shortly after a Huskies penalty was killed off, the Kodiaks took a kneeing penalty. That led to the Huskies breaking out and scoring the first goal of the game. The club swung the momentum in their favour after the first goal scored by Aaron Hladiuk.

Two minutes later, Kodiaks tied it up with a powerplay goal by Brandon Rowley. The Kodiaks found life by getting on the scoreboard for the first time this series.

McArthur had a big save towards the end of the second period to keep it a two-goal game.

Huskies added two goals in the second frame, from Oscar Burgess and Kurtis Lee, and the Huskies looked like they had a lock on the third win of the series.

Then, the Kodiaks’ Nolan Bailey scored on the powerplay to make it a one-goal game with over 15 minutes left to play in the period.

There were a lot of after-the whistle scrums and a bunch of verbal warnings given out from the referees throughout the game.

Kodiaks score and tie the game at the 9:50 mark of the third period. This seemed to be a new Kodiaks team compared to the previous two games.

On the other side of the ice, the power play didn’t seem to be clicking for the Huskies.

The rivals kept things tied at the end of regulation and headed to overtime.

It was a fast start filled with multiple chances for both teams to kick off the overtime period.

Huskies kept the pressure on the Kodiaks, but both teams seemed visibly and physically tired.

There was no scoring in the first, so the teams went into double overtime.

With 24 seconds left in the second overtime, the Kodiaks’ Markus Ruehl scored to end the game and to an explosion of cheering from their travelling fans.

Head coach Todd Alexander didn’t seem affected by Sunday’s loss.

“At the end of the day, it’s a hell of a hockey game. There’s not a lot there. They had their chances, and we had our chance to do the job. It was just a great game to be a part of.

“I’m just looking for four [wins], and we got two, and they got one now. We’re going to get ready for Tuesday in Dawson Creek and make sure we keep up on top of the series.”

The Huskies look to get back to their style of game on Tuesday night in Dawson Creek. The puck drop is at 8 p.m.

First Period

Huskies: Aaron Hladiuk (14:31)
Kodiaks: Brandon Rowley (11:33)

Second Period

Huskies: Oscar Burgess (16:04)
Huskies: Kurtis Lee (1:35)

Third Period

Kodiaks: Nolan Bailey (15:49) PP
Kodiaks: Markus Ruehl (9:50)

Overtime 1

No Scoring

Overtime 2

Kodiaks: Markus Ruehl (0:24)


Kodiaks 46
Huskies 45

Do you have a news tip or a story idea?

Send it our way!

This site uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. By continuing to use this website, you consent to the use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy.