Support Fort St John News

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Krystal St. Pierre has returned to her home in Fort St. John after doctors gave her a 10 per cent chance of surviving her battle with COVID-19 while pregnant.

St. Pierre calls the experience a ‘miracle’ and urges the community to get vaccinated.

“I fully regret doubting the vaccination because what I went through is no joke at all,” said St. Pierre. “It will save your life, and it will prevent you from going what I went through.

St. Pierre returned Sunday after being woken from a month-long medically induced coma on November 10th. She also gave birth to her newborn, Skyler, while in a coma.

The little one was born prematurely on October 23rd, weighing in at just over three pounds. She is currently in the newborn intensive care unit at the University Hospital of Northern British Columbia.

St. Pierre’s husband and Skyler’s father, Dwayne Binette, says doctors usually like to keep premature babies for a full term, but can they can be released early depending on weight and development. Binette believes she will remain in hospital for at least another month.

The newborn is currently four and a half pounds, and her dad says she is developing well.

“My question to nurses was: is there going to be an early Christmas present or not? It’s a little too early at this time, but they said if things are looking good.”

As for St. Pierre’s health, she will have scarring on her lungs for the rest of her life and is more susceptible to lung infections later in her life. Other than that, doctors told the family that she will lead a normal life and her lungs are seemingly healthy.

Due to the lack of movement for over a month, St. Pierre has experienced muscle atrophy. She is currently using a cane to help her walk, and for extended periods, she will need to use a wheelchair until she regains strength. She is now seeing a physiotherapist to help her rcovery.

Binette is still processing the whole experiencing after almost losing her twice.

After giving birth to Skyler, St. Pierre suffered internal bleeding on two separate occasions in the span of a week, which was believed to be a result of the emergency c-section.

“When you don’t think she is going to make it to doctors telling you to prepare [ for her death], and now she is home, it’s such a journey, ” said Binette.

“It was quite the ride.”

The couple wants to thank the community for their support and kind words during a rough time for their family. Binette is sending a special thank you to the Women’s Resource Centre, who provided their kids with winter clothing and food. They also checked in on Binette and his kids.

Report an error

Read our guiding principles

Thanks for reading! is the voice of the Peace, bringing issues that matter to the forefront with independent journalism. Our job is to share the unique values of the Peace region with the rest of B.C. and make sure those in power hear us. From your kids’ lemonade stand to natural resource projects, we cover it – but we need your support. Give $10 a month to today and be the reason we can cover the next story. 

More stories you might like