Shootout win Friday, regulation win Saturday for first place Huskies

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – After winning 3-2 in a shootout on Friday night against Grande Prairie, the Fort St. Joh…

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – After winning 3-2 in a shootout on Friday night against Grande Prairie, the Fort St. John Huskies pushed their current win streak to four games with a 5-2 victory over the Dawson Creek Kodiaks on Saturday.

On Friday, the Huskies were in Grande Prairie for their third meeting of the season against the Kings.

Tempers flared early when Kings goalie Cam Beson ventured out of his net and collided with Huskies forward Jared Winkel, and an extended scuffle resulted in Winkel and Logan Kimmie being thrown out of the game. Alex Nimmo’s goal had the Huskies up 1-0 after one period of play.

In the second, the Kings tied the game early with a goal from Mason Kyllo. The Huskies got caught on a powerplay and gave up a shorthanded goal to Zane Labbe. The Kings were ahead 2-1 after 40 minutes.

Nobody could score in the third period until the final minute when Conrad Wiebe tied the game with help from Alex Nimmo and Brandon Modde.

Five minutes of 3-on-3 overtime solved nothing, and the Huskies went back to the shootout. The first four shooters failed to score and Conrad Wiebe managed to score on his attempt, leaving Jackson Powers the opportunity to win the game with a final stop.

Powers stood tall, making all three saves in the shootout to close out the tight win for the Huskies.

The Huskies outshot the Kings 37-28, and goalie Jackson Powers was the player of the game with 30 saves plus the three shootout attempts.

On Saturday, the Huskies were at home against the Dawson Creek Kodiaks for MOvember night.

Before the puck dropped to start the game, The Huskies were penalized for having players on the ice when the warmup buzzer sounded. As a result, the confused Huskies started the game on the penalty kill, and the Kodiaks’ Tristan Williams capitalized 23 seconds into the game.

“We had an unexpected penalty and a bit of a rough start, but it was nothing we couldn’t get through as a team,” said Conrad Wiebe, who wound up serving the bench minor penalty despite being innocent. “It doesn’t matter who it was, but we battled through it together.”

A few minutes later, Brandon Rowley extended the Kodiaks’ lead to 2-0.

The Huskies got on the board with a powerplay goal from Chase London, and the first period ended 2-1 for the Kodiaks.

London scored the only goal of the second period to tie the game at 2-2.

In the third, the Huskies continued to gather momentum after their slow start. Despite being outshot 12-8, the Huskies got three straight goals from Kurtis Lee, Cayden Frenette and Nathan Brownlee.

Final score, 5-2 Huskies as they extend their record to 16-0-1.

Through 17 games, the Huskies have the most goals scored (81), fewest goals allowed (36), best powerplay (23 per cent) and the best penalty kill (87 per cent) in the league.

Kurtis Lee is tied for the league lead in game-winning goals with three, captain Cayden Frenette is tied for first place with two shorthanded goals, and Jared Winkel’s 18 assists lead the league.

The Huskies will host the Grande Prairie Kings on Friday night at 8 p.m. at the North Peace Arena, then they will head to Fairview to take on the fourth-place Flyers on Saturday.

Do you have a news tip or a story idea?

Send it our way!

This site uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. By continuing to use this website, you consent to the use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy.