FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The new RCMP detachment in Fort St. John continues to take shape, and work is focused on sealing the building’s exterior so work can be comfortably done inside this winter.

According to City Communications Manager Ryan Harvey, workers are currently installing windows.

“Windows and stuff are going in now. They’re getting ready for a total lock up so they can start working on the inside this winter,” said Harvey. “Rough-ins are continuing. Most of the main floor rough-ins are pretty much done, and they’re starting some interior drywall. Most of the exterior drywall or glass rock is pretty close to complete.”

Rough-ins are the bringing in of all plumbing, electricity and ductwork lines to a certain area of a structure.

“A lot of it is either 80, 90 or 100 per cent done, so things are coming along. Here’s hoping they can work inside with some heat this winter,” said Harvey.

The construction project started in the middle of 2020, and the City of Fort St. John expects the $51.4 million detachment will be completed in early 2022.

The project is funded by the City of Fort St. John and the RCMP.

The RCMP is funding 37.5 per cent of the project through yearly lease payments while the City will finance the other 62.5 per cent, using capital reserve funds set aside for the detachment.