FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The NWJHL leading Fort St. John Huskies faced a Fairview Flyers team with no quit in it, pushing the game to overtime, but it was the Flyers who would go home happy with a shootout victory.

Raymond Dick opened the scoring with his 7th of the season just a minute and seventeen seconds in, Nathan Brownlee got the assist.

Less than 30 seconds later, Chase London tallied with help from Lee and Winkel.

The Flyers found their legs and took control of the rest of the first period, despite being unable to solve Tyler McArthur.

In the second period, the Flyers continued to press the Huskies, finally getting on the board six minutes into the frame.

The Huskies would answer back with an unassisted marker from Justin Brownlee, but less than a minute later, the Flyers cut the lead back to one goal.

In an impressive display of effort and hustle, captain Cayden Frenette slipped behind his defender, found a loose puck and undressed Flyers goalie Andre Giesbrecht on the glove side to push the gap back to two goals. The score was 4-2 after 40 minutes.

In the third period, the Huskies had to use their timeout to gather the troops and collect their emotions. The Flyers would benefit from a goofy power play goal in the back half of the period to make it 4-3.

Then, with the net open, the Flyers managed to hem the Huskies in their end, and a bouncing puck found Flyers’ Dillon Wagner for a short side, game-tying goal with 33 seconds to go.

On to 3vs3 overtime the game went, and with end-to-end rushes, it seemed certain that a goal would be scored, but 5 minutes elapsed and the Huskies went to their first shootout of the season.

Fairview’s Baaz Grewal scored in the fifth round for the Flyers and Huskies’ Alex Nimmo was unable to score, resulting in the Huskies losing their first game of the season 5-4 in a shootout.

“I think we played a pretty solid game, and  Fairview definitely came to play tonight. It went back and forth, but we just weren’t able to come out on top, unfortunately,” said goaltender Tyler McArthur, who made 21 saves in the losing effort. “We just need to keep playing our game, and things will go from there.”

Head coach Todd Alexander says the Huskies will refocus their attention to the North Peace Navigators game tomorrow.

“We do a good job of not living in the past, not looking too far into the future. We like to stay in the moment,” said Alexander, who gave credit to the Flyers.

“That hockey club played a really good game tonight, hats off to them. Hockey happened out there, they won the shootout, on to the game against North Peace.”

The Huskies will have a chance to get back to their winning ways on Saturday night at 8 p.m. at the North Peace Arena.