VICTORIA, B.C. – The Provincial Government has extended COVID-19 emergency measures for eligible youth and young adults who are transitioning from government care.

The Agreements with Young Adults (AYA) program has been extended to March 2022.

“All youth transitioning to adulthood need support and strong relationships to help them thrive, and young adults from care can benefit from additional support to set them on a positive path,” said Mitzi Dean, Minister of Children and Family Development.

“We know what a tough time this has been for young people, and that’s why, in response to feedback from youth, we are extending our pandemic measures and making access to mental health services more flexible so that more youth can get the help they need.”

By extending the emergency measures until March 31st, 2022, AYA will be provided easier access to life skills, education, mental health, and rehabilitation supports, according to the Province. These measures will allow young adults to take part in a wider range of programs that will support goals like learning how to manage money, connecting Indigenous peoples with Elders in their community, or working on their mental well-being.

“The pandemic has increased the need for mental health services, but many young adults said it was hard to find 10 hours a week to dedicate to mental health,” Dean said. “Based on this feedback and to ensure more young adults can receive support, the hourly requirement has now been reduced to five hours a week.”

Any youth are who transitioning to adulthood can also continue to access housing supports and stay in their homes until March 31st.

Those eligible for the AYA program can also apply to participate in both programs at the same time. Young adults that are eligible could also receive up to $350 per month through the AYA program based on what their needs are and the length of their program.

Between March 2020 and March 2022, it’s estimated that more than 1,700 young adults will benefit from housing and the AYA emergency measures.

More information can be found on the Province’s website,