FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The evacuation alert issued last year due to the risk of landslides in the Old Fort area has been rescinded by the Peace River Regional District.

Effective Friday, the alert was cancelled after the PRRD received advice from geotechnical consultants.

The alert was issued on August 12th, 2020, for all properties east of 265 Road, south of 240 Road, west of the City of Fort St. John boundary and 7583 Old Fort Road.

“Upon confirmation that the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure continues to actively monitor the area surrounding the Old Fort Road where the landslide occurred, the geotechnical consultants are satisfied that evacuation alerts can be removed at this time,” said a release.

Any new information brought up will be assessed to determine if evacuation alerts or orders need to be implemented, said the PRRD.

“We thank the residents of Old Fort for their patience during this difficult time,” said the PRRD.

The district released its geotechnical report last month after it was put on hold in April due to an ongoing lawsuit.