DAWSON CREEK, B.C. – A group of South Peace residents continue to express their issues with the provincial government’s Winter Motorized Recreation Management Plan.
Concerned Citizens for Caribou Recovery posted to Facebook Wednesday responding to the province stating the group supports its plan. The report was tabled in May to be made available for public review and comment.
“Team CCCR members are adamant that we have not, nor will support this document or its recommended outcomes,” said a release by the group Wednesday.
Multiple members participate in the South Peace Snowmobile Advisory Group and claim the government has used the group for information.
“It is our contention that the government used their group to obtain information on prime riding areas and access points to further their agenda of widespread closures and to fulfill their objectives regardless of the recommendations that the group tabled.”
In February 2020, the B.C. government, federal government, West Moberly First Nations, and Saulteau First Nations signed the Intergovernmental Partnership Agreement for the Conservation of the Central Group to the Southern Mountain Caribou.
The agreement’s goal is “immediately stabilizing and expeditiously growing the population of the Central Group to levels that are self-sustaining and support traditional Aboriginal harvesting activities, consistent with existing Aboriginal and Treaty rights.”
The Snowmobile Advisory Committee says it met 13 times and dedicated over 450 hours of volunteer time to release a report of recommendations for the B.C. government in February.
The B.C. Snowmobile Federation launched a petition to withdraw from the plan it was released by the government in May. The petition was created earlier this month and had over 7,800 signatures.
According to the Change.org petition description, the plan is “a clear attack on the sport of snowmobiling in the South Peace.” It argues that the province proposes a plan based on elevation rather than a consultation with various user groups.
Team CCCR urges residents to read the plan and express their concerns to government officials.
“We were seeking solutions from the South Peace for the South Peace and were deceived by the provincial government and their contracted staff,” said the CCCR release.