FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Fort St. John Fire Department focused on electrical safety this week during a national awareness campaign.

Despite Burn Awareness Week wrapping up this week, Fire Prevention Officer Captain Marco D’Agostino says it is always a hot topic during the winter.

The province partnered with Technical Safety BC and the BC Professional Fire Fighters’ Burn Fund to raise awareness around the theme of “Electrical Safety from Amps to zap!”

According to D’Agostino, the campaign’s timing worked out perfectly with the low temperatures residents have been shivering through.

“It wasn’t by design. Burn Awareness Week is a national thing that we do here in Canada, and we usually get the themes from the American Burn Association,” says D’Agostino.

When temperatures drop in the winter, space heaters get used more. D’agostino says these devices present several risks when not used properly, so following these tips will help you stay warm and safe.

“Make sure they’re in a safe location, and there are no combustibles around it. It’s probably not the best to leave it unattended, and follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.

Often, the fire could be caused by using an electric space heater on an extension cord that’s not rated for the device,” adds D’Agostino.

D’Agostino says the importance of working smoke alarms cannot be understated.

“I can’t stress it enough; smoke alarms save lives. There was something recently on social media about that; I believe it was Surrey. They went to a fire, and the people made it out safely because they had working smoke alarms,” says D’Agostino.

“The code says you should have one in every bedroom, and every hallway that is beside a bedroom should have one as well,” he adds.

More information about fire safety can be found on the Fort St. John Fire Department Facebook page.