Support Fort St John News

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Last week, the Province introduced an ‘Industrial Projects Restart Plan’ aiming to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 to neighbouring communities from major projects.

The Restart Plan focuses on five major projects happening across the province, including the Site C Project.

Currently, Site C is permitted to have a baseline of 400 workers and then can increase to another 400 this Thursday, January 7, bringing the total to 800 workers.

According to B.C. Hydro Site C Communications Manager Dave Conway, the plan is to slowly increase the number of workers staying at camp to a maximum of 1,100.

Conway says this order does not impact people working on the project that live locally or those that work on off-dam site activities such as clearing, transmission construction, and Highway 29 work.

As of Monday, January 4, 369 people in camp, and three people are in isolation.

While these changes will have a further impact on our overall project schedule and cost, Conway says they understand the rationale for the order and will continue to put the health and safety of our employees, workers and the nearby communities first.

Report an error

Read our guiding principles

Thanks for reading!

Energeticcity.ca is the voice of the Peace, bringing issues that matter to the forefront with independent journalism. Our job is to share the unique values of the Peace region with the rest of B.C. and make sure those in power hear us. From your kids’ lemonade stand to natural resource projects, we cover it – but we need your support. Give $10 a month to Energeticcity.ca today and be the reason we can cover the next story. 

More stories you might like