Support Fort St John News

The City of Toronto is responding to a massive coronavirus outbreak at one of its nursing homes, leaving eight residents dead and 69 residents and staff being listed as having confirmed and probable cases of COVID-19.

According to an update provided by Toronto Public Health (TPH) officials on Wednesday, six of the eight residents at Seven Oaks Nursing Home who died were over 85 years old. The other two were between the ages of 60 and 85.

Dr. Elizabeth Rea, Toronto’s associate medical officer of health, said three of the residents died Tuesday night and early Wednesday. At least two of the deaths were previously announced.

The update also said six residents and nine staff are currently dealing with COVID-19 and there are 54 resident cases that have been deemed “probable.”

Story continues below advertisement

The Seven Oaks Nursing Home, located near Morningside Avenue and Ellesmere Road, is operated by the City of Toronto. According to the City, there are 249 residents at the facility.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Locally, TPH said there are outbreaks at 18 nursing homes and two retirement homes. The definition of an outbreak was recently changed to be just one confirmed case of COVID-19.

3:29Coronavirus outbreak: Ontario health minister defends long-term care home information

Advertisement

 » READ MORE FROM GLOBAL NEWS

Report an error

Read our guiding principles

Thanks for reading!

Energeticcity.ca is the voice of the Peace, bringing issues that matter to the forefront with independent journalism. Our job is to share the unique values of the Peace region with the rest of B.C. and make sure those in power hear us. From your kids’ lemonade stand to natural resource projects, we cover it – but we need your support. Give $10 a month to Energeticcity.ca today and be the reason we can cover the next story. 

More stories you might like