FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Many schools in Fort St. John, Chetwynd and Dawson Creek are part of the funding the government has issued to support extracurricular activities for students, but also keep parents in the loop about their children’s schools.
“Those parent advisory councils (PACs) and district parent advisory councils (DPACs) that work with public and independent schools and applied for grants will share a portion of the overall allocation based on the number of students at their schools. The grants provide support for extracurricular sports, arts, class trips and other school activities.”
A total of 1,363 PACs and DPACs applied for gaming grants and that number has been approved so far.
Minister of Education, Mike Bernier says the funding is important for schools to be able to fund extracurricular activities.
“B.C. schools provide an excellent quality of education for children and youth in communities throughout the province. These gaming grants provide significant funding to local parent advisory committees so they can purchase playground and sports equipment and musical instruments, while supporting other important learning opportunities for students.”
The following schools in Fort St. John received funding:
- Ambrose Parents Partners In Learning Excellence (A.P.P.L.E.)
- Bert Bowes Junior Secondary School P.A.C
- C.M. Finch P.A.C.
- Christian Life School Parent Advisory Team
- District Parent Advisory Council S.D. #60 – Peace River North
- Dr. Kearney Middle School P.A.C
- Duncan Cran Parent Advisory Council
- Ecole Central Elementary School of the Arts PAC
- North Peace Secondary School Parent Advisory Council
- Robert Ogilvie Elementary School P.A.C.
- Upper Pine Elementary Junior Secondary School PAC
- *Charlie Lake Elementary School P.A.C
The following schools in Dawson Creek received funding:
- Canalta Elementary School PAC
- Dawson Creek Secondary School Parent Advisory Council
- Devereaux Elementary School PAC
- District Parent Advisory Council S.D. #59 – South Peace
- Ecole Frank Ross Elementary PAC
- Mountain Christian School Parent Group
- Notre Dame School Parent Support Group
- Ron Pettigrew Christian School Parent Group
- Tremblay Elementary School PAC
The following schools in Chetwynd received funding:
- Chetwynd Secondary School PAC
- Don Titus Elementary School Parent Advisory Council
- Little Prairie Elementary School P.A.C.
- Peace Christian School Parent Committee
For money amounts and more information visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/files/BG_PAC-DPAC_GamingGrants_Oct2016.pdf