FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Though the pair may spar verbally only on rare occasions during council meetings, Councillors Dan Davies and Trevor Bolin will be walking the walk, not talking the talk this Friday night at the Pomeroy Hotel.
The pair, who have also speed skated and dressed as Sonny and Cher for other charitable events in the past, will be squaring off in the boxing ring for three 90 second rounds. Bolin and Davies had their first training session at the Fivestar MMA gym last night. The pair say that it still hasn’t quite settled in that they’ll be throwing punches at each other, but that they should be versed enough to give and take jabs come Friday night.
The fight is just one of many that will be raising money to help allow kids affected by the economic downturn to participate in martial arts. In addition to the two councillors, MMA fighters Dylan Lielke, Corey Mackie, Brad Stewart, and Jared McComb will be facing each other in a boxing ring for the first time as co-headliners. There will also be another 11 boxing and kickboxing matches, as well as several grappling and MMA demonstrations from the gym’s students.
Fivestar MMA owner Justin Donally announced the event at the end of July, and with only a capacity of 600 at the Pomeroy Hotel, the match is nearly sold out. Donally says that there are approximately 100 general admission tickets left. In addition, Donally posted on Facebook this morning that there was one VIP table that was suddenly made available.
All tickets can be bought in advance at Fivestar MMA on Alaska Road North, or at the door on Friday night.
The full fight card for Friday night is as follows (co-headline events in bold):
Martial Arts Demonstrations
- Cruz Gordon vs. Jackson Hedland
- Elvis Walter vs. Hayzen Basisky
- Mason Williams vs. Evan Bordalau
- Alex Martinez vs. Noah Goertz
- Lee Coogan vs. Tate Rawling
- Gary Peck vs. Phil Dufresne
- Jon Zaleski vs. Raphael Bergmann
- Travis Lussier vs. Joe Westbrook
- Matt Kertesz vs. Dan Westbrook
- Murray McDonald vs. Dakota Huard
- Sion Lunn vs. Brayden Kersey
- Nick Young vs. Kevin Winkler
- Ashley Rouble vs. Claudy Leblanc
- Amanda Rogers vs. Rachel Scharmann
- Josh Morgan vs. Carter Johnson
- Robin Combs vs. Stefanie Murray
- Coun. Trevor Bolin vs. Coun. Dan Davies
- Dylan Lielke vs. Corey Mackie
- Brad Stewart vs. Jared McComb
Thanks for reading!
Energeticcity.ca is the voice of the Peace, bringing issues that matter to the forefront with independent journalism. Our job is to share the unique values of the Peace region with the rest of B.C. and make sure those in power hear us. From your kids’ lemonade stand to natural resource projects, we cover it – but we need your support. Give $10 a month to Energeticcity.ca today and be the reason we can cover the next story.