GRANDE PRAIRIE, AB – The Grande Prairie RCMP are warning the public after responding to a number of complaints of people using aggressive sales techniques while selling items door-to-door.
Police says that if you are approached by a salesperson at your home to keep the following in mind:
- Never let anyone inside of your home.
- Ask to see identification from the salesperson, both photo ID and an ID that associates the person to the business he/she is representing.
- Before purchasing anything, fully research the company on your own to determine it’s reliability and reputation.
- Ensure the contract includes information about maintenance/repair responsibilities, cancellation and any additional costs.
- Contact Grande Prairie Enforcement Services (780-538-0300) to determine whether the company has a valid license from the city to be selling products door-to-door.
Please contact Grande Prairie RCMP (780-830-5701) if you encounter any of the following:
If you happen to encounter someone who is: aggressively trying to enter your home, has entered your home without permission, doesn’t have any valid identification, or who exhibits suspicious or threatening behaviour. Should you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers by phone at 1.800.222.8477 (TIPS).