FORT MCMURRAY, ALBERTA – At a press conference this afternoon, Alberta Preimer Rachel Notely announced plans for Fort McMurray residents to return home.
Notely says as of June 1st, residents can voluntarily return home, in phases, as long as 5 conditions are met before doing so.
The 5 conditions are the following:
- The wildfire is no longer an imminent threat to the community
- Critical infrastructure is restored
- Essential services are restored
- Hazardous areas are secured
- Local government is re-established
The massive fire that tore through the town is now approaching the Saskatchewan border.