UPDATE: As of 9 p.m., the Voight Creek fire is now 85 per cent contained and 31 hectares in size. The Clearview fire is now 75 per cent contained and 48 hectares in size. Power has been restored to residents in the area of those fires. Crews continue to fight both fires.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Peace River Regional District has issued an evacuation alert for the Cecil Lake area.
The alert covers the following area:
• 244 Road from the Alces River west to 223 Road
• 223 Road between 244 Road and Cecil Lake Road
• 221 Road between Cecil Lake Road and just north of the 252 Road
• 221 Road off of the 224 Road
• 250 Road and 252 Road off of 221 Road
• 217 Road between 244 Road and just north of the Cecil Lake Road
• Cecil Lake Road between 2895 Cecil Lake Road and the Alces River
• 219 Road off of Cecil Lake Road
An Evacuation Alert has been issued to prepare you to evacuate your premises or property should it be found necessary. Residents will be given as much advance notice as possible prior to evacuation; however you may receive limited notice due to changing conditions.
The alert has been issued because of two forest fires that started Saturday. The first fire is the Voight Creek fire. That fire is 10 hectares in size at last count. The second fire is called the Clearview fire and is 12 hectares in size.
Here is a map of the evacuation alert area.