Want more stories like this? By becoming a Supporter, you help make that possible!
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Peace River Regional District has issued an evacuation order for residents near Shepherd’s Inn and Mile 80 of the Alaska Highway.
Geographic Area (see attached map), including all properties on the following roads:
• North West for 300 meters on both sides of the Alaska Highway from 300m south of the Shepards Inn to intersection of Beatton Airport Road and the Alaska Highway
• North on the Alaska Highway to the Aitken Creek Road
• North on Aitken Creek Road to where it crosses the Blueberry River
• East following the Blueberry River to where the Blueberry River crosses the Beatton Airport Road
• South along Beatton Airport Road to the Alaska Highway
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
• You must leave the area immediately
• Register at Reception Centre at the North Peace Arena.
• If you need transportation assistance from the area please advise the individual
• providing this notice or call 250.794.3310
• Close all windows and doors
• Shut off all gas and electrical appliances, other than refrigerators and freezers
• Close gates (latch) but do not lock
• Gather your family: take a neighbour or someone who needs help
• Take critical items (medicine, purse, wallet, and Keys) only if they are immediately available.
Take pets in pet kennels or on leash.
• Do not use more vehicles then you have to.
• Do not use the telephone unless you need emergency service.
This is a map of the area effected by the evacuation order.
The ESS Reception Center is located at the North Peace Arena 9805 – 96th Avenue Fort St. John. The registration phone number is 250.794.3310. Residents who have been evacuated are asked to register at the Centre to qualify for assistance. Travelers (non-residents) who have been evacuated are not eligible for assistance at the ESS Centre and should make their own arrangements for accommodations.
“We have been asked to open the doors of our ESS to support our neighbours in the Regional District and it will remain open until we are asked by the PRRD to stand down,” stated Jim Rogers, Director of Protective Services for Fort St. John.
Thanks for reading!
This holiday season, we want to give back to the people who have supported us this year!
We have partnered with local businesses to create an $800 Shopping Spree Giveaway! One of our Supporters will win the giveaway on December 2 and anyone who becomes one by December 1 will be entered to win as well.