Fire in Montreal apartment building claims life of woman, 73

MONTREAL — A 73-year-old woman is dead following a fire Tuesday morning in an apartment building in northwest Montreal.

Firefighters were called to the building in the Pierrefonds district just before 2 a.m. and evacuated hundreds of people.

The woman’s body was found in her apartment, where the fire started, possibly due to a lit cigarette.

There was no one else in the apartment and the fire was quickly extinguished.

No one was injured during the evacuation and residents were later allowed to return to their units.

 

The Canadian Press