Though it was a busy weekend in the Lower Mainland as officials scrambled to douse wildfires across the region, all was quiet on the North Peace home front.
Fort St. John, Charlie Lake, and Taylor fire departments all say they had a quiet weekend as a province-wide campfire ban came into effect late last week.
The departments said they responded to no major calls over the weekend, and fielding only a handful of inquiries and complaints from residents about those not abiding by the ban.
No tickets were issued.
And, despite a splash of rain here and there throughout the weekend, the campfire bans remain in effect. BC Wildfire data shows there are at least 36 fires still active in the northeast, much of them concentrated around Fort Nelson.
“We had rain on Saturday, but the rain on Saturday was isolated to different areas,” said Fort St. John Fire Chief Fred Burrows.
“It poured downtown, but you could go three kilometres out of town and they only got a drizzle. It had no affect on the moisture content of the ground.
“It’s an extreme year this year, and we should be diligent in heeding the rules and what the province is saying. Right now, we’re better safe than sorry,” Burrows said.
Sadie Jones, emergency co-ordinator for Taylor, said the ban on campfires and fireworks remain in effect after a weekend of “good compliance.”
“Our focus is on education more than enforcement,” she said.
“There were no call outs, no fines issued. It was beautiful. We were good.”
Charlie Lake Fire Chief Terry Truchan said the department didn’t receive any burn complaints throughout the weekend.
The ban is in effect in Charlie Lake as ground conditions remain dry, he said.
Truchan added the department did raise $530 as part of its car wash and classic car show on Saturday despite the cool weather.
That money will go towards the departments Firefighters for Family and social funds, which help community members in times of need, Truchan said.