The Fort St. John RCMP are sending out a reminder to motorists to slow down in construction zones this summer. With the summer construction season underway, the RCMP want to see everyone get to their destinations safely and make sure the those working in construction zones are safe as well. The RCMP have provided the following tips:
- Know the work zone signs. Orange warning signs are there to help you and other drivers move safely through
roadway construction zones.
- Obey flaggers. Flaggers are trained to move traffic safely through work zones, so pay attention to their
- Obey posted speed limits. Speeding through work zones is a major cause for accidents and injuries. Pay
attention for reduced speed limits and slow down.
- Pay attention to other drivers and objects. Keep a safe distance between your vehicle and traffic barriers,
trucks, construction equipment and workers.
- Stay focused and avoid distractions. Do not use cell phones or text while driving. Avoid eating and other
activities which may take your focus from the road.
- Expect the unexpected. Stay alert for lane or road surface changes, possible mobile work zones and erratic
- Keep your cool and be patient. Work zones are necessary to improve the roads for everyone and to meet