Questions remain unanswered as murder charge laid in Winnipeg school stabbing

WINNIPEG — A 17-year-old boy has been charged with second-degree murder in a fatal stabbing at a Winnipeg high school.

The boy, who cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, is accused of killing Brett Bourne, also 17, over the lunch hour Tuesday.

An attack against Bourne, a former student, occurred near an entrance to Kelvin High School in the River Heights neighbourhood.

Police have said Bourne was in a minor disagreement with a 16-year-old student.

The 16-year-old backed off and another student intervened and stabbed Bourne.

Police have said the dispute may have stemmed from “relationship issues” — possibly involving a girl — but they have not gone into detail.

There are other unanswered questions, including whether the accused had brought a knife into the school and, if so, for how long.

“The 17-year-old who has been charged obviously had possession. Where that knife came from, where it was taken to, or where it had been, I can’t get into those details and I don’t have that information at this point,” Const. Jason Michalyshen said Thursday.

“That is very likely some information that we’re still sorting through.”

The Canadian Press

Comments

Have something you'd like to add? Read our comment policy by clicking here.