Support Fort St John News

MONTREAL — A Montreal cab driver says he’s relieved at being found not guilty after he ran over a man with his veehicle.

Quebec court Judge Genevieve Graton acquitted Guercy Edmond this morning of aggravated assault, assault with a weapon and dangerous driving.

She had earlier found him not guilty of a hit and run charge.

The incident on April 29, 2012, gained widespread coverage as videos of the after-hours melee were widely shared on YouTube and other social media.

Video captured Edmond’s cab being surrounded and attacked as he drove erratically around an intersection before the victim was run down.

Benoit Kapelli ended up with a perforated bladder, broken ribs and a large cut on his chin.

But Graton agreed that Edmond was acting in self-defence and trying to get away from Kapelli and a group attacking his cab.

Graton said Edmond behaved as any reasonable person would have under the circumstances and that the Crown failed to back up its argument he acted deliberately and out of anger.

Edmond is still a cab driver but says the incident has left him shaken and that he’s wary every time a client gets into his taxi.

The Canadian Press

Report an error

Read our guiding principles

Thanks for reading!

Energeticcity.ca is the voice of the Peace, bringing issues that matter to the forefront with independent journalism. Our job is to share the unique values of the Peace region with the rest of B.C. and make sure those in power hear us. From your kids’ lemonade stand to natural resource projects, we cover it – but we need your support. Give $10 a month to Energeticcity.ca today and be the reason we can cover the next story. 

More stories you might like