Cigarette Butt Believed To Be Behind Small Fire

Fire crews were called out at about 9am Sunday morning to the 96-hundred block of 112th Avenue.

Fire Chief Fred Burrows says they saw a fair bit of smoke when they arrived.

Indications are someone threw a cigarette butt into a planter, outside the home, not realizing it wasn’t fully out.

“We don’t know how long it burned for, but it spread from the planter onto the siding of the house, and then the front vestibule.  It put some smoke inside the house, but it didn’t do any actual damage to the interior of the home.  It was all exterior damage.”  said Burrows.

Burrows wasn’t able to give an exact damage estimate, but figures, if he were to guess, it would be about 20-thousand dollars.

Comments

Have something you'd like to add? Read our comment policy by clicking here.