Cooking hash oil may have caused basement explosion

Corporal Jodi Shelkie says this has led them to believe they were cooking hash oil at the time of the explosion. 

The incident occurred at around 6:30 p.m. April 22 and drew the response of the local RCMP, Fire Department and B.C. Ambulance. A male born in 1979 received burns as a result of the explosion and was still in hospital receiving treatment as of Tuesday night. A female born in 1985 that was in the house at the time did not report any injuries.

RCMP is recommending charges in the matter.

The United States’ Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) issued a warning in February 2013 about the rising number of hash oil explosions in that country. Several explosions have also been reported across Canada in recent years.

The process involves highly explosive butane as well as flammable alcohol, and reported fires and explosions have blown out windows, walls and caused numerous burn injuries. The front window of the house on 97 Avenue was blown out in the explosion.

About Erica Fisher 4010 Articles

Erica is a reporter for Moose FM and energeticcity.ca in Fort St. John, B.C. She grew up in Victoria, B.C. and received her Bachelor's Degree in Journalism from Concordia University in Montreal, Quebec.