This holiday season, all of our Supporters are entered to win an $800 Shopping Spree Giveaway!

The brain is unaffected, which is why it is often called a “prison”, and there is no known cure. Shirley Dubois, the coordinator for the walk, has had two family members affected.

“I’ve lost a brother and I’ve lost a first cousin,” she says. 9:15 “This is just super important because, believe me, that disease is hell to go through.”

Treating the disease requires a long list of equipment, so the ALS Society of B.C. runs an equipment loan program, shipping equipment at no charge to patients, including one in Dawson Creek. After a 12 per cent administration fee, 60 per cent of the money raised by ALS walks go towards the equipment program, while the other 40 per cent goes towards research. Although there is currently no cure, Dubois has hopes with funding, better treatment is on its way.

“The research is making great strides,” she says. “We believe that within five years they’re going to be able to stop it from progressing.”

There are 15 different walks held around the province, and this will be the third in Dawson Creek. The first year raised $17,500 and the second raised $23,500, so Dubois hope to reach the $25,000 mark this year.

The Dawson Creek ALS Walk is scheduled for September 8, leaving from the Sudeten Hall in the Walter Wright Pioneer Village at 11 a.m. on the Rotary trail. Walkers can go any distance they like.

“They can walk ten feet or ten miles; it’s entirely up to them and their capabilities.”

Registration starts at 10 a.m. and the event will be followed with a Rotarian barbecue and live music by a local band. To get involved or for more information email or call Shirley Dubois at 250-786-0107.

Report an error

Read our guiding principles

Thanks for reading!

This holiday season, we want to give back to the people who have supported us this year!

We have partnered with local businesses to create an $800 Shopping Spree Giveaway! One of our Supporters will win the giveaway on December 2 and anyone who becomes one by December 1 will be entered to win as well.

More stories you might like