This holiday season, all of our Supporters are entered to win an $800 Shopping Spree Giveaway!

Bryan’s father, Dave Harding, says Bryan awoke to the smell of propane and saw that one of the pilot lights on his stove was off. When he went to re-light it there was an explosion, and Bryan was engulfed in flames. It turns out there was a propane leak that had filled the trailer with gas.

“The propane that had accumulated in the trailer continued to burn for probably six or eight seconds, and he couldn’t get out of the room,” says Dave.

Bryan was medivaced from Fort St. John to a hospital in Edmonton, where he remains in the burn unit. Dave says Bryan has already undergone one skin graft, and will be undergoing another surgery this afternoon. Bryan is currently in stable condition, his recovery will likely be lengthy.

“It’s hard to know what the long-term prognosis is, but it looks like it’s going to be months before he’s able to work again,” explains Dave. “He’s struggling with it, and of course infection is always a complication. If that should happen, then it could become life-threatening again, but at this point, he’s stable.

Bryan and his wife Alissa have four children, who are currently staying with their grandmother while Alissa stays with Bryan.

Friends and family have set up a trust fund to help the family out during this time with day-to-day living costs. Donations can be made at any CIBC branch with transit and account numbers: 3090 – 8646694.

Report an error

Read our guiding principles

Thanks for reading!

This holiday season, we want to give back to the people who have supported us this year!

We have partnered with local businesses to create an $800 Shopping Spree Giveaway! One of our Supporters will win the giveaway on December 2 and anyone who becomes one by December 1 will be entered to win as well.

More stories you might like