Want more stories like this? By becoming a Supporter, you help make that possible!
Of the two that began last night, the smaller one near the 255 Road was extinguished by the Fort St. John Fire Department after four and a half hours.
The second, near the Beatton River Bridge, has been 95 per cent contained as of last night. There are still 17 firefighters from B.C. Forest Service working on that fire this morning. The Fire Centre doesn’t foresee it causing any more problems at this time.
Firefighters are finishing up at the site of the forest fire south of Taylor that started Friday. They’ll be taking away their equipment today, but as the fire was so large – 140 hectares – it’s too soon to call it “out”. It will now be put on patrol status, and will be checked on every couple of days to check for smoking areas.
The causes of all of the recent local fires are still under investigation. Lightning has been ruled out for last night’s fires, so it’s suspected they were human caused.
So far, it’s been a bad fire season in northeast B.C. There have been about four times the number of fire at this point in the year as compared to last year, but still slower than 2010.
“We’re going to prepare ourselves for the worst, and hope for the best,” says Jillian Chimko, Information Officer for the Prince George Fire Centre.
The Centre says most of the fires have occurred because of unsafe burning conditions, so watch out for dry and windy conditions when doing any outdoor burning.
Thanks for reading!
Our goal is to cover all the local news and events happening in Northeast B.C. If you believe in this coverage, becoming a Supporter is a great way to help!
As a Supporter, you also get our investigative stories early and a FREE mug!