Want more stories like this? By becoming a Supporter, you help make that possible!
USW’s Western Canada director Stephen Hunt warns that the province should conduct a full inquiry into the safety standards and practices of these companies before allowing them to work here. He says Chinese-owned mining companies have a “horrific” record of coal mine disasters, including almost 100 reported Chinese coal mining deaths in the past month, that warrants a review.
“Chinese-owned coal mines have the worst safety record in the industry. Anyone who takes even a brief look at China’s record of mine explosions, cave-ins, floods and other disasters is alarmed to learn that we’re now inviting Chinese-owned companies to run mines in this province.”
Almost 2,500 people were killed in coal-mining accidents last year, and Hunt says he’s dismayed that the province considers these operations as a good model for safe underground mines.
A call has been placed to the Minister of Energy and Mines Rich Coleman for comment.
Thanks for reading!
This holiday season, we want to give back to the people who have supported us this year!
We have partnered with local businesses to create an $800 Shopping Spree Giveaway! One of our Supporters will win the giveaway on December 2 and anyone who becomes one by December 1 will be entered to win as well.