Deputy fire chief Bob Fulton said crews responded to a house fire in the 1100 Block of 117 Avenue at around 1 a.m. He said the fire was caused when someone put out a lit cigarette in a planter outside that had dry peat moss in it. The moss caught on fire, and the flames quickly engulfed the wooden planter, and then the deck where the planter was sitting.

Fulton said firefighters were unable to determine if somebody was home when they arrived, but fortunately a neighbour noticed the fire and alerted the department. He said the fire was contained to the deck, and he estimates it caused about $1,000 worth of damage.

He said it not the first incident where a cigarette put out in a planter has caused a fire. He said peat moss is an especially dangerous fuel because it can burn slowly and for a long time, so the risk isn’t necessarily evident right away.