The Dawson Creek RCMP says everyone involved managed to escape serious injury, following a four vehicle chain reaction crash yesterday on Highway Two, between the EnCana Events Centre and the Dawson Creek Airport.

It occurred shortly before noon, and involved a west bound gravel truck towing a pup trailer.

It collided with an east bound Alaska registered van that was also pulling a trailer, which had the axles torn from its undercarriage.

The gravel truck subsequently collided with two east bound SUV’S…with one losing its front driver’s side wheel assembly…and the other ending up in the ditch of the east bound lanes after being side-swiped on the driver’s side.

The gravel truck then narrowly missed a hydro pole, and rolled onto its side into the ditch with its fuel tanks ripped open and on fire.

However the 61 year old driver, described by police as a local area resident, walked away from the wreckage.

The most serious injury appeared to be to the female driver of the first of the two SUV’S involved in the crash, who required fire department assistance after being trapped in her vehicle.

Police say there were also three child passengers in that vehicle, but it’s believed that all those involved in the crash, requiring hospital care, were treated and released.

The investigation into the cause of the crash involves both the Dawson Creek RCMP and Provincial Commercial Vehicle Safety Enforcement inspectors.

Meantime, both are also involved in the investigation into another bizarre Highway Two incident, several hours later.

The Dawson Creek Mounties report this one occurred just before five o’clock, near the 203 Road, and involved an east bound five tonne truck and a westbound pickup.

The big truck lost its driver’s side wheel assembly, when it went over a bridge…and that assembly then slammed into the pickup, which suffered “major frontal driver’s side damage”.

The only one reportedly hurt was the 19 year old driver of the pick-up, but his neck and chest injuries are not believed to have been life threatening.

Police have already cited mechanical failure as the reason for the wheel assembly separation.