Home » Uncategorized » UPDATE – Bicknell arrested after standoff near Sexsmith

UPDATE – Bicknell arrested after standoff near Sexsmith

UPDATE – The Grande Prairie RCMP have released the following statement about the incident Saturday near Sexsmith.

William Wade BICKNELL, 42 years of age who escaped custody on March 10th near Edmonton has been arrested near Sexsmith, Alberta just shortly after 8:15 p.m. on Saturday March 19th.

RCMP say that just after 4:00 p.m., Spirit River RCMP detachment received information that BICKNELL was in the area at a rural residence. Officers attended the location and when they attempted to stop a vehicle that left the residence, they became engaged in a pursuit. Members from the Grande Prairie RCMP Detachment were seconded to assist.

The pursuit proceeded south to 2 miles east of Sexsmith when the suspect’s vehicle entered the ditch. The area was contained by police and BICKNELL surrendered to police at 8:15 p.m.

BICKNELL has been taken to hospital as he sustained some injuries during the events. The extent of the injuries are yet to be determined.

A Grande Prairie RCMP detachment officer sustained non life threatening injuries as a result of the incident and is currently receiving medical treatment.

The investigation is ongoing and charges to be laid against BICKNELL as a result of incidents in the Spirit River/Grande Prairie are pending. Police are asking if anyone witnessed any of the events and have yet to speak with police, are asked to contact Grande Prairie RCMP Detachment at (780)830-5700.


_ _ _ _ _

Below is our original story from early Saturday evening.

Escaped prisoner William Bicknell has been taken into police custody.

CTV Edmonton reports Bicknell is in custody at the Grande Prairie Hospital with undetermined injuries.

RCMP from Grande Prairie and Sexsmith were involved in an armed standoff near Sexmith Saturday. The standoff started after the RCMP responded to a disturbance call at a home. When the RCMP arrived on scene, a man took off in a truck and shot at police during the pursuit.

When the pursuit stopped, the armed standoff started.

On March 10, William Wade Bicknell, escaped while returning from Edmonton to Drumheller. Bicknell overpowered the guard after he faked an illness. The guard was then handcuffed and placed in the back of the vehicle, while Bicknell drove back to Edmonton.

Bicknell then retrieved multiple firearms, including a sawed-off shotgun and two bags of ammunition. After he drove to a residence in a rural area and he stole a vehicle, abandoning the guard and the corrections van.

Once more details are released, we will post another update. 

Do you have a news tip or a story idea?

Send it our way!

This site uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. By continuing to use this website, you consent to the use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy.