Prince George had no intention of losing two in a row in Fort St. John.

In the teams second meeting in as many days, Prince George was able to beat the Flyers by a score of 3-1, despite being outshot 40-25.

Two factors played a significant role in the Flyers loss. The first was their inability to capitalize with the man advantage and the second was the Prince George goaltender. Unlike Saturday’s game, Sunday saw 20 year old Alex Wright get the start in between the pipes, who was spectacular for the Mohawks. 

The first period began fast paced, with both teams skating hard, making crisp hard passes and finishing all of their checks. The intense physicality eventually would lead to both teams taking numerous penalties in the first. Although, neither team was able to score while on the power play, resulting in a scoreless first period.

The second began the complete opposite way Fort St. John would have liked. Four minuets into the period, Prince George displayed some nice puck movement, which found Stew Hambert on a partial breakaway for the Mohawks. Hambert pulled a little deke, just  enough to fake out Flyers goaltender Troy Hunt and snapped the puck high glove for the game’s opening goal. 

The flyers didn’t even have time to assess what had happened, because ten seconds later, ex-Flyer Tyler Brough, scored off the following face off to give the Mohawks a 2-0 lead. 

The Flyers seemed to be inspired by the two quick goals. They upped the pace in the second, but were unable to beat Wright, who made a number of tremendous even strength and short handed saves to keep Fort St. John off the scoreboard. 

The third period saw the Flyers try to get into Wright’s comfort zone. They were driving hard to the net and crashing the crease for any rebounds. Unfortunately, it would be the Mohawks that would strike again. Some nice puck movement allowed Tyrell Turgeon to find himself wide open in the Flyers Zone. After receiving a pass, Turgeon fired the puck, beating Hunt five-hole to bring the score to 3-0 for the Mohawks.  

However, the Flyers were able to finally beat Wright in the third. After a point shot by Arlo Hadland, the puck bounced right to Chris Stevens, who made no mistake spinning and firing the puck five-hole.  Although that was all of the offense the Flyers could muster up on Sunday. 

The AAA exhibition tournament concluded with both teams winning one game each. The rubber match will take place in Prince George on Feb. 19.