B.C. Premier Gordon Campbell announced significant changes to his cabinet as he shuffled a number of positions.
Steve Thomson was named Minister of Natural Resource Operations which had been a part of Bill Bennett’s portfolio. Bennett is still the Minister of Energy. The Ministry of Forests and Range has absorbed mining into its portfolio and is now being called the Ministry of Forests, Mines and Lands. Pat Bell will be the minister in charge of this sector.
Local MLA Patt Pimm has been named the Parliamentary Secretary for the Natural Gas Initiative to the Minister of Energy.
The following is a list of changes within the Cabinet.
Ministers with new or changed portfolios include:
* Minister of Aboriginal Relations and Reconciliation – Hon. Barry Penner
* Minister of Agriculture – Hon. Ben Stewart
* Minister of State for Building Code Renewal – Hon. Naomi Yamamoto
* Minister of Community, Sport and Cultural Development – Hon. Stephanie
* Minister of Education – Hon. George Abbott
* Minister of Energy – Hon. Bill Bennett
* Minister of Environment – Hon. Murray Coell
* Minister of Finance (Minister Responsible for Small Business) – Hon.
* Minister of Forests, Mines and Lands – Hon. Pat Bell
* Minister of Health Services – Hon. Kevin Falcon
* Minister of Labour – Hon. Iain Black
* Minister of Natural Resource Operations – Hon. Steve Thomson
* Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General (Minister Responsible
for Housing) – Hon. Rich Coleman
* Minister of Regional Economic and Skills Development – Hon. Moira
* Minister of Science and Universities – Hon. Ida Chong
* Minister of Social Development – Hon. Kevin Krueger
* Minister of Tourism, Trade and Investment (Minister Responsible for the
Intergovernmental Relations Secretariat) – Hon. Margaret MacDiarmid
Ministers retaining existing portfolios:
* Attorney General – Hon. Mike de Jong
* Minister of Children and Family Development – Hon. Mary Polak
* Minister of Citizens’ Services – Hon. Mary McNeil
* Minister of State for Climate Action – Hon. John Yap
* Minister of State for Mining – Hon. Randy Hawes
* Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure – Hon. Shirley Bond
More information will posted as soon as it is made available.