Fort St. John plucked from Monday's Telus outage


Photo:  Telus will be conducting a scheduled maintenance to repair a broken fiber-optic cable in the North Peace. The outage will temporarily leave some residents without landline services. – Christine Rumleskie/Energeticcity.ca

By Christine Rumleskie

Telus is clearing up some controversy stemming from a service outage scheduled for Monday the 8th.

Earlier this week, Telus indicated that landline and cellular services would be temporarily shut down in Fort St. John, Charlie Lake and Cecil Lake. Now, spokesperson Jeremy Baxter says the company has found a way to exclude Fort St. John from the outage.

He says the company has also found a way to reroute cellular service, giving all affected residents access to their cell phones.

[asset|aid=2486|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=949e6c61c24e93e1b21adb31e79cffb3-Baxter 1_1_Pub.mp3]

So, the scheduled maintenance will interrupt only landline services in Cecil Lake, Flatrock, Goodlow and Boundary Lake. Cell phone service will be still available in all four communities.

The outage will begin after 11 p.m. on Monday, February 8 2010.

Fort St. John Mayor Bruce Lantz voiced his frustration in the matter. He said the city scrambled to put together an emergency strategy, only to be told that there will be no such outage.