Open Fire Bans start Friday

The Prince George Fire Centre has prohibited all open fires in the region.

Effective at noon on Friday, July 24th, fire Categories one, two and three will be banned from all Provincial parks, and public and private lands outside of organized areas.

Last month, the Fire Centre lifted its Category One and Two bans because of the wet weather. Now, Fire Information Officer Jillian Chimko says the new ban is in place to limit the risk of person-caused fires.

[asset|aid=1673|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=e98c87fefd89b796444937b4b083164a-Chimko 1_4_Pub.mp3]

Category two includes burning piled material no larger than two metres in size, while Category three includes burning piled materials larger than two metres high.

This also applies to burning grass and all resource management burns.

However, the fire bans do not apply within municipalities or regional districts that have their own burning bylaws.

Chimko says these bans will be enforced. [asset|aid=1674|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=e98c87fefd89b796444937b4b083164a-Chimko 2_3_Pub.mp3]

Chimko recommends checking local authorities before lighting a fire this summer. To report a burn violation or unattended campfire call 1-800-663-5555 or *5555 on most cellular networks. For more information on open fire restrictions visit www.bcwildfire.ca

Comments

Have something you'd like to add? Read our comment policy by clicking here.