Want more stories like this? By becoming a Supporter, you help make that possible!
The Prince George Fire Centre is still putting out campfires, even though there is an open fire ban in place.
Fire Information Officer Jillian Chimko says the while there hasn’t been many recent wildfire starts; the risk is still very high.
She recommends campers use charcoal and gas grills throughout the weekend.
[asset|aid=1690|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=211cb92434abb44a46e0b84c6d281c0a-Chimko- campfires 1_1_Pub.mp3]
The ban was initiated on Friday the 24th, and remains in place until further notice. If a wildfire is started, the person(s) responsible will foot the costs to put the fire out.
The ban is in place to limit the amount of human-caused wildfires in the region.
Meanwhile, the Smith/Liard wildfire continues to burn. It remains at 230 square kilometres in size
Chimko with an update…
[asset|aid=1691|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=211cb92434abb44a46e0b84c6d281c0a-Chimko- liard fire 1_2_Pub.mp3]
Chimko says there have been a couple of small fires started from lightning strikes, but so far, there are no large wildfires to report.
Thanks for reading!
This holiday season, we want to give back to the people who have supported us this year!
We have partnered with local businesses to create an $800 Shopping Spree Giveaway! One of our Supporters will win the giveaway on December 2 and anyone who becomes one by December 1 will be entered to win as well.