Support Fort St John News

Flyers Beat the Spirit River Rangers 6-5 in Double overtime

The game started off with a bang, with some rough stuff breaking out right off the opening face-off, between Matt Shuya and Colin Lefley.  The lone goal in the first period was scored by Todd Alexander on a powerplay.

In the second period, the pace quickened.  The Flyers extended their lead, with a dazzling goal by Wade Hocking, and a nice deflection from Ian Munro on a Kip Noble point shot.  The Rangers would climb back, with two goals of their own, from Evan Boire, and Mike Lefley.  

Heading into the third, the score was 3-2 Flyers, meaning the Rangers had their backs against the wall.  Early in the third, the Rangers drew even, on a goal from Trevor Mazurek.  But, the Flyers would take control again, with a powerplay goal stuffed in by Dustin Kersey, and another powerplay goal from Ian Munro, assisted by Brett Loney (his third helper of the game). 

But, in the dying minutes, the Rangers would fight back.  With 2:02 remaining, Mark Wallman drew Spirit River within one.  Then, with 50.6 second remaining, Mike Lefley centred the puck.  Chad Vizzutti knocked it down, but it stuck underneath the goalie’s skates, and was jammed home by Wallman again, to tie the game 5-5.

It would seem that regulation would come to a routine close, but in the dying seconds, Kip Noble raced back to collect a Ranger dump-in, and took a big hit from Mike Lefley.  Noble would lay on the ice for a couple of minutes, before walking to the dressing room.  He would not return to the game, diagnosed with an upper-body injury.

At the end of regulation, the officials would decide the ice was in good enough shape to play a 10 minute overtime period.  The period would solve nothing, and the teams would head to the rooms, for the second double overtime game in a row.

Finally, 2 minutes into the fifth period, Donny Lloyd would reverse a play behind the Ranger net, which was intercepted by Clayton Bahm.  Bahm threw the puck at the net, and the bouncing puck was picked up by Jeff Shipton, who banged it home, to give the Flyers their second consecutive double overtime win.

Listen to this highlights package

[asset|aid=1061|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=73cc0c5e9b1c336412e2f6ec1ed18fa6-Flyers Beat the Spirit River Rangers 6-5 in Double overtime_1_Pub.mp3]

And so, the Rangers again stuck with the flyers, but again come up just short.  The Flyers now lead the series 3 games to 1, with a chance to wrap it up at the North Peace Arena on Tuesday night.

Report an error

Read our guiding principles

Thanks for reading! is the voice of the Peace, bringing issues that matter to the forefront with independent journalism. Our job is to share the unique values of the Peace region with the rest of B.C. and make sure those in power hear us. From your kids’ lemonade stand to natural resource projects, we cover it – but we need your support. Give $10 a month to today and be the reason we can cover the next story. 

More stories you might like