Damaged gas meter fuels fire outside residential home

The fire department says upon arrival, firefighters determined the gas meter had been damaged by burning garbage and escaping gas was fueling the fire.

This resulted in heavy flames climbing the side of the house towards the soffitting, threatening to get into the attic space.

Once the gas supply had been shut off the fire was easily contained, and fire officials credit the actions of two youths who witnessed the fire and alerted the residents, helping to limit the damage.

Although the fire did severe damage to the outside of the home, also melting the siding of a neighbour’s home, as well as melting the plastic potions of a fence between the houses.

The public is reminded to keep the area around the gas meter accessible and free from any stored items, garbage and debris.

Smokers are also reminded to properly dispose of cigarette butts and spent matches.