Trust fund set up for burn victim's family

Bryan's father, Dave Harding, says Bryan awoke to the smell of propane and saw that one of the pilot lights on his stove was off. When he went to re-light it there was an explosion, and Bryan was engulfed in flames. It turns out there was a propane leak that had filled the trailer with gas.

"The propane that had accumulated in the trailer continued to burn for probably six or eight seconds, and he couldn't get out of the room," says Dave.

Bryan was medivaced from Fort St. John to a hospital in Edmonton, where he remains in the burn unit. Dave says Bryan has already undergone one skin graft, and will be undergoing another surgery this afternoon. Bryan is currently in stable condition, his recovery will likely be lengthy.

"It's hard to know what the long-term prognosis is, but it looks like it's going to be months before he's able to work again," explains Dave. "He's struggling with it, and of course infection is always a complication. If that should happen, then it could become life-threatening again, but at this point, he's stable.

Bryan and his wife Alissa have four children, who are currently staying with their grandmother while Alissa stays with Bryan.

Friends and family have set up a trust fund to help the family out during this time with day-to-day living costs. Donations can be made at any CIBC branch with transit and account numbers: 3090 – 8646694.

About the Author

Erica Fisher

Erica is a reporter for Moose FM and energeticcity.ca in Fort St. John, B.C. She grew up in Victoria, B.C. and received her Bachelor's Degree in Journalism from Concordia University in Montreal, Quebec.