Smoke detector saves Chetwynd woman's life

Around 1:40 p.m. Tuesday, the Chetwynd Fire Department was called to a house fire in the Hayward Subdivision. By the time firefighters arrived, the house was fully engulfed in flames.

A smoke detector is credited with saving the life of the woman living at the home, who narrowly escaped from the burning structure since she had been asleep at the time. The home was totally destroyed and the aforementioned tenant was hospitalized for smoke inhalation and a fall she incurred as she fled the burning building.  

The cause of the fire is believed to be a smoker which was left on the deck beside the entrance to the residence.

About the Author

Erica Fisher

Erica is a reporter for Moose FM and in Fort St. John, B.C. She grew up in Victoria, B.C. and received her Bachelor's Degree in Journalism from Concordia University in Montreal, Quebec.